Sunday, June 6, 2010

1972 Schwinn Suburban















So this bicycle has been sitting in my garage since...I don't even know. It used to be our old neighbors and they gave this and a matching color Schwinn Breeze when they moved away. It really hasn't been touched since. Today, for some reason, I woke up to a beautiful morning at 6:30am and decided to take this bicycle down and clean it up.

Turned out to be an amazing ride! There's a lot of surface rust, but after some cleaning, lubing the chain, and filling the tire with air, it was road-worthy. Did about 15 miles with a few friends and it was a blast.

I'm new to the bicycle scene, but I really like how those road bikes look. I'm thinking about getting a drop bar to replace the handlebar that's on there now...but I'm not sure if it will be comfortable or work. More research needs to be done.

The tires and brake pads need to be replaced first...the tires are dry rotted and the brake pads have turned into hard plastic. Even though they are in that condition, they both survived, and functioned, over the 15 mile ride.

The quality of these old Schwinn bikes are amazing. Even after 38 years (yes, this bike is 38 years old), the bicycle still functions with minimal effort. More to come!
Posted by Picasa

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Nice bike. My husband has a similar one in blue that used to be his grandfather's. I'm currently restoring it as a surprise for him while he is away. Can you tell me what brake pads you ended up putting on yours? And what brake cables, if you replace those.